Substrate runtime version
Each runtime that should be executed by a Substrate based node needs to have a runtime version.
The runtime version is defined by
RuntimeVersion. The runtime version is used to
distinguish different runtimes. The most important field is the
spec_version should be increased in a
runtime when a new runtime build includes breaking changes that would make other runtimes unable
to import blocks built by this runtime or vice-versa, where the new runtime could not import
blocks built by the old runtime. The runtime version also carries other version information
about the runtime, see
RuntimeVersion for more information on this.
Substrate will fetch the runtime version from a
wasm blob by first checking the
runtime_version link section or calling the
Core::version runtime api. The link section can
be generated in the runtime using the
runtime_version attribute. The
Core runtime api also
needs to be implemented for the runtime using
- Provides functionality to embed a
RuntimeVersionas custom section into a WASM file.
- Create a vector of Api declarations.
- Create a const [
- The version of the native runtime.
- Runtime version. This should not be thought of as classic Semver (major/minor/tiny). This triplet have different semantics and mis-interpretation could cause problems. In particular: bug fixes should result in an increment of
authoring_version, absolutely not
impl_versionsince they change the semantics of the runtime.
- Different possible state version.
- Returns the version of the native runtime.
- Something that can provide the runtime version at a given block.
- Returns the version of the
- The identity of a particular API interface that the runtime might provide.
- A vector of pairs of
- An attribute that accepts a version declaration of a runtime and generates a custom wasm section with the equivalent contents.